On This Page
- Talk to an Admissions Counselor
- Program Highlights
- Who Should Apply?
- Annual Cost (2021-22 School Year)
- Admission Requirements
- Application Process
Talk to an Admissions Counselor
Our admissions team is available to help you with your application process and answer any questions. Contact us at email@example.com.
The Language-Learning Track (Lang-Learn for short) provides individualized support throughout sequential courses at foundational (low-intermediate), intermediate and advanced levels. You may also visit Biola classes within your desired field, such as business or theology, and incorporate these lectures into your English language assignments. International students living outside of the United States will receive Biola’s I-20 to apply for an F-1 visa upon being admitted to the program.
- Individualized attention in small classes
- Access to campus resources such as the Learning Center and Rhetoric and Writing Center
- Integration of Christian faith with language learning
- Participation in our campus community
- Knowledgeable, experienced instructors with advanced degrees in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
For more information in Mandarin, download our Mandarin brochure (PDF)
For more information in Korean, download our Korean brochure (PDF)
Who Should Apply?
The Lang-Learn Track is available to undergraduate or graduate students with low-intermediate to advanced English comprehension and communication and a sincere desire to grow their understanding of God within an entirely Christian community. It’s intended for students who desire to study abroad to earn language credit for their home university, improve their English speaking, listening, reading and writing skills, or learn strategies for improving their TOEFL or IELTS scores. Please note that while international colleges and universities do accept Biola’s language courses for credit, Biola will need to contact your specific college/university to check if they will accept our courses as credit. Contact us for more information.
Students who have been given provisional acceptance to one of Biola’s undergraduate or graduate programs should also consider the Lang-Learn Track. Successful completion of the program, including an exit exam and approval from the program dean and English Language Director, will result in a language waiver and continued admission to the student’s program of choice.
Students will submit information through the English Language Program application that determines initial placement and appropriate course level. Once on campus, students may take additional placement tests to further evaluate the correct level of courses.
Level 1 is not offered currently. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
For more information on courses, visit our courses page.
Annual Cost (2021-22 School Year)
- Tuition (includes 12 credits per semester): $13,560 (or $565 per credit)
- Estimated Living Costs (Housing & Meal): $11,131
- Student Health Insurance: $1,105
- Total Annual Cost: $25,796
Because Lang-Learn courses are already offered at a reduced tuition rate, no scholarships are offered through Biola. However, we encourage you to apply for external scholarship opportunities.
NOTE: The total cost shared above is the required amount for the U.S. government to prove your financial ability while studying in the United States. Keep in mind that there may be additional costs for textbooks and daily living.
In order to be admitted into the Lang-Learn Track of the English Language Program, each student must:
- Be a believer in the Christian faith
- Have earned a high school diploma or equivalent (GED)
- Have an intermediate level in English equivalent, as determined by international tests. This could be a TOEFL iBT score of at least 55 or an IELTS score of 5.5. For more information, see the table below:
|Program Level||TOEFL iBT||IELTS|
|Undergraduate||ALP: 70-79||ALP: 6.0|
(for programs that have a minimum of TOEFL iBT 90+ or IELTS 7.0+)
|Level 3: 73-80||6.0|
(for programs that have a minimum of TOEFL iBT 100+ or IELTS 7.5+)
Please email email@example.com if you have any questions.
- Complete an online ELP application.
- Submit the required supplementary items (online application system):
- Required essay
- One standardized test: TOEFL or IELTS (must have been taken within the last 2 years)
- A copy of your high school transcript or high school diploma with a certified English translation.
- Application fee: This can be paid through the online application system OR through check or money order (Payable to Biola University; Memo: Applicant’s name). All checks and money orders should be mailed to the address below:
- Office of Admissions
13800 Biola Avenue
La Mirada, CA, 90639
- Office of Admissions
- Submit a copy of your passport, Affidavit of Support, and supporting bank statement (online application system).
We strongly encourage Lang-Learn students to apply early. Transfer students are welcome as well.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions regarding the admissions process.