Within a continuing search for 'what makes it beautiful' Jerri Lee Owen teaches with a love for music and a passion for teaching which opens doors to musical artistry for students. Out of her life-long career of teaching and performing, she brings insights into the ease of playing and the nuances of style while yet addressing the unique talents and challenges of individual students.
- B.A., Music, Gonzaga University, Spokane, Washington (teachers Trula Whelan & Sigrid Grinius)
- M.M., Piano Performance, University of Illinois, Champagne-Urbana (teachers Howard Karp)
- Tanglewood Music Festival (studied with Bela Nagy)
- Aspen Summer Music Festival (studied with Rosina Lhévinne)
- Biola University, masterclasses with Menahem Pressler (1982-2014)
- Teachers include Trula Whelan, Sigrid Grinius, and Howard Karp.
Beginning piano lessons at age five, Jerri Lee Owen grew up within the yearly competitions of the Spokane Music Festival and played concertos with the Spokane Symphony including Rhapsody in Blue at Expo '74, World's Fair.
During her college years at Gonzaga and the University Illinois, she played many solo and chamber music recitals and won piano competitions in Bloomington, Indiana and Seattle, Washington. In the following years, she played piano concertos with the University of Illinois Symphony, Mankato State Symphony, St. Paul Chamber Orchestra, La Jolla Symphony, and the Biola Symphony Orchestra (conducted by husband Marlin Owen).
Following graduate school, she taught piano at SW State College, Weatherford, OK, joined the piano faculty at Mankato State University, MN, and came to teach at Biola University in 1982.
For many years she concertized with Marlin Owen, cellist, and Ronald Goldman, violinist, as the Owen-Goldman Trio. After coming to Biola, the Owen-Duo played faculty concerts every semester.
Now in LA, along with Biola students, she maintains a private studio of young pianists and draws them into the musical events of the Music Teachers Association of CA. From 2003-2007, she worked on the State Board of MTAC as Director and as Membership Secretary.