3+1 Public Relations Program: B.A. to M.A.
The 3+1 public relations program allows you to complete coursework at an accelerated rate — earning both your B.A. in Public Relations and Strategic Communication and M.A. in Public Relations and Reputation Management in just four years.
This alternative to the traditional track requires tenacity and careful planning and is the best fit for driven students with clear goals. In addition to taking full course loads each semester (including 12 credits over the course of two summers), students admitted into the 3+1 PR Program will take cross-listed, graduate-level courses that will require additional work as they pursue an accelerated program.
At the end of three years, 3+1 students will graduate with a bachelor’s degree and have only 24 credits of their 33-credit master’s degree remaining. These final credits are taken during three final trimesters, allowing students who begin their studies in the fall of Year 1 to fulfill all requirements of both programs by the spring of Year 4.
Application, Admission and Ongoing Requirements
The application process for the 3+1 program does not begin until the second semester of the public relations program, at the earliest. In order to be considered, students must complete the 100-level courses within the public relations major (including PREL 104/105, PREL 107, PREL 110/111) and submit an application to be reviewed by a faculty committee.
Following admission, continued enrollment in the 3+1 PR Program is contingent on meeting additional requirements. Students must:
- Maintain a 3.8 GPA in public relations coursework throughout the completion of the B.A. in Public Relations and Strategic Communication.
- Earn an “A” in the following courses: PREL 307, PREL 360, PREL 388/389, PREL 420.
- Demonstrate high competency in advanced coursework by enrolling in PREL 500 (cross-listed with PREL 460/461) and PREL 660 (cross-listed with PREL 465 and BBST 465) and earning an “A” in both courses.
- Pass a rigorous portfolio review of projects from upper-division courses. The rubric used to assess student portfolios will be made available to students considering applying to the program. All requirements must be satisfied in order for students to maintain 3+1 status.
- Apply and be admitted to the M.A. in Public Relations and Reputation Management, fulfilling the criteria and standards required of all applicants.
Standard Completion Track: B.A. to M.A.
Students who prefer not to enroll in the 3+1 PR Program but who desire to complete both the B.A. in Public Relations and Strategic Communication and M.A. in Public Relations and Reputation Management are welcome to complete coursework at a standard pace, applying to the master’s program following a 4-year bachelor’s degree. Students should expect to complete both degrees in 5–6 years, depending on the student’s trimester course load.
Please Note: Students who completed their undergraduate degree at Biola could need only to complete 30 credits of the 33-credit M.A. in Public Relations and Reputation Management. For more information or to discover your eligibility, consult your admissions counselor.