Photography as fine arts
The photography concentration in our B.F.A. in Studio Art program is designed for students who desire meaningful and critical engagement with photographic and lens-based work. Our faculty understand the importance of visual literacy and are committed to mentoring you to help you find and use your unique voice through the art of photography.
As a student in the photography concentration, you’ll learn about the tools and processes used across the history of the medium (including 35mm, medium-format, and large-format film and cameras, various digital capture media, professional scanning and archival inkjet printing, as well as video, installation art, mixed media and online media). You will be trained in a wide variety of photographic skills, and will join a well-established global network of alumni who have careers in diverse artistic and commercial fields (from directors of well respected galleries in Los Angeles, to photographers for luxury fashion labels and major brands).
Bardwell Hall Highlights
The newly renovated and reimagined Bardwell Hall, set to open in fall 2021, will be the ideal place for you to imagine, create and critique your work. Here are some highlights of spaces designed specifically for our students:
- Photo Darkroom – Process film and analog processes
- Photo Lighting Studio – Create projects such as portraiture, still life, commercial, fashion and more
- Sculpture Studio – Build frames to showcase your work
- Interdisciplinary Studio – Host lectures, guest artists and exhibit installations for critiques
- Computer Labs – Utilize digital scanning and digital inkjet printing
- Design Lab – Collaborate on projects with design students
- New Media Studio – Explore mixed media and collaborate on projects
- Student Gallery – Display individual and group projects, as well as exhibitions
- Rooftop Terrace & Outdoor Art Yard – Exhibit your artwork