B.S. in Communication Studies
Skillful communication is applicable to every aspect of life. The B.S. in Communication Studies program — offered in a fully online format — will help you hone your ability to listen and lead well, expanding your understanding of how to communicate with the world around you. Our curriculum will equip you with refined writing skills, speaking abilities, problem solving skills and more — all qualities that employers greatly value.
- Biola's Communication programs are nationally recognized by the Religious Communication Association and the National Communication Association. Students can become members at a special discounted rate by joining through the Communications department. Contact a faculty member to learn more.
- Biola University has a national chapter with Lambda Pi Eta, the official Communication Studies honor society of the NCA. Students are eligible to participate in professional development, continuing education and community service.
Yes! Tell Me More!
Why Choose Communication Studies at Biola?
Earn a Degree With Endless Possibilities
Studying Communication gives you invaluable tools that are an asset to a multiplicity of employers. You’ll gain practical communication tools in strategic problem solving, critical thinking, and creating collaborative spaces for teams to thrive in. You’ll be prepared to excel in your current career — or, start something new.
Professional Development for the Modern Workplace
The demands of the modern workplace are ever-evolving — from internal communication to presenting new ideas to clients, our fully online degree in Communication will allow you to excel at adapting your innovative ideas and insights to colleagues, clients and stakeholders — making you an invaluable member of your team.
Earn Your Degree at a Affordable Price
This communication degree boasts a condensed but robust curriculum. It’s specially designed to integrate the content of our B.A. in Communication Studies program (our on-campus bachelor’s degree) into a structured B.S. in Communication Studies — all with tuition priced roughly one-third of the cost of Biola’s traditional undergraduate programs.
Study At Your Own Pace
You can complete our flexible, convenient online program in as little as 24 months (depending on your existing credits and chosen course schedule). Our courses are asynchronous, which means you can learn at your own pace, according to your busy schedule.
What Will I Study?
The B.S. in Communication Studies offers robust, biblically integrated courses that can be applied to your current work and beyond. Some courses include:
- Introduction to Public Communication
- Communication Theories
- Interpersonal Communication
- History of Communication
- Organizational Communication
- Rhetorical Theories
- Communication and Diversity
Biblical Studies Minor
One of Biola’s academic distinctives is the minor in biblical and theological studies, which sets a foundation for every student’s understanding of Scripture and theology. You will take 30 credits of Bible courses as part of your degree to qualify for a minor in biblical studies.
A degree in communication studies can be a great way to advance in your current profession, but it may also present new opportunities to expand your career choices. The education you’ll receive at Biola will equip you with the tools you need to enter any workplace as a confident, competent and effective communicator. Some possible paths include:
- Communications manager
- Corporate communications director
- Bible teacher or pastor
- Church communications director
- Graduate study (law school, doctoral studies and more)