Faculty | Minor in Contemporary Worship Music
- Associate Professor, Worship Arts
- Area Coordinator, Worship Arts
- Ph.D., University of California, San Diego
- M.M., in Composition, State Univeristy of New York, Binghamton
- B.M., University of British Columbia
Barry Liesch is the founder of the Worship Arts program at Biola. He also writes curriculum for courses in Improvisation and Pop Theory, and teaches several courses in the Worship Arts department.
Education & Influences
- Additional studies in Piano with the Royal Conservatory of Music in Canada
- Teachers include Pulitzer-prize winners Bernard Rands and Roger Reynolds
As a nine-year old boy, he was...
- Associate Professor, Guitar and Commercial Music
- Area Coordinator, Commercial Music Program
- D.M.A. Candidate in Studio/Jazz Guitar Performance, University of Southern California
- M.M. in Studio/Jazz Guitar Performance, University of Southern California
- B.M. in Guitar Performance, Biola University
- B.M in Music Education, Biola University
Jeff Askew is an adjunct professor at Biola University and has dedicated his life to music education. He has a background in music ensemble, guitar and sound production. He graduated from Biola with a bachelor’s degree in Music Performance and from USC with a master’s degree in music studio. Askew has performed and recorded with numerous musical artists and theatre productions. He has also...
- Adjunct Professor, Worship Arts
A worship architect with extensive and proven expertise in designing, developing and leading contemporary worship and creative arts ministries, Sherri Alden teaches Biola's upper-level Designing and Leading Worship course for Worship Music majors. Her experience and talent further strengthens Biola's program in the areas of creative content production and development, and worship leading for...
Designing and Leading Worship
- Adjunct Professor, Worship Arts
- D.W.S., Robert E. Webber Institute for Worship Studies (Orange Park, FL)
- M.A. Worship Leadership, Azusa Pacific University (Azusa, CA)
- B.A. Music Education, Azusa Pacific University (Azusa, CA)
Steven Brooks is a Pastor, Author (Worship Quest: An Exploration of Worship Leadership, Wipf and Stock) and Professor of Worship. He has a passion for the local church as well as a desire for training, equipping, and mentoring worship leaders. Steven holds a Doctor of Worship Studies from the Robert E. Webber Institute for Worship Studies. His primary interests are congregational worship, music...
David Michael Loucks
- Studio Artist, Contemporary Voice
David Michael Loucks is a studio singer, arranger, and vocal contractor in Los Angeles, Calif. With over 20 years in the industry, David has recorded and performed with such artists as Katy Perry, Pentatonix, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, 30 Seconds To Mars, and Harry Styles, as well as for TV and films such as "Glee," "American Idol," "Dancing With The Stars," "Sing," "Star Trek Beyond" and...
- Studio Artist, Drum Set
David Owens has played for Fernando Ortega, Tommy Walker, Sara Groves, Bebo Norman, Crystal Lewis, Cheri Keaggy, Paul Baloche, The Righteous Brothers, Thomas Dolby and Peter White to name a few. He played drum set for the Los Angeles production of The Lion King at the Pantages Theater in Hollywood for over two years. He has played on countless jingles and many soundtracks.
Currently he plays...
- Adjunct Professor, Contemporary Piano
- Certificate in Arranging and Composition, Berklee College of Music, Boston
A composer, arranger, producer, songwriter and jazz pianist, Mr. Pantoja teaches applied contemporary keyboard and song writing, in addition to leading student pop ensembles in the Music in Worship department. He is passionate about passing down his musical knowledge and about mentoring his students in their faith and everyday lives.
Growing up in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Mr. Pantoja's interest...
- Studio Artist, Electric Guitar
In his formative years, Doug Jackson studied with guitar legend Ted Greene. He won five Outstanding Musicianship awards from the National Association of Jazz Educators and one from the American Honor Arts Association before attending Berklee College of Music.
Jackson has performed with Kenny Loggins, Ambrosia, Michael McDonald, Bryan Duncan, Bill Champlin, Edgar Winter, Marie Osmond, Dave...
- Studio Artist, Electric Bass
Norm Stockton travels extensively throughout North America, Europe and Asia. He has been profiled in Bass Player magazine and is recognized by many as one of today's premier bassists. From 2006 to 2012 he was the touring and recording bassist with chart-topping worship artist (and former Steve Perry's guitarist) Lincoln Brewster. Norm has also performed or recorded with a number of...
- Adjunct Professor, Music History
- Ph.D. Musicology, University of Southern California (Los Angeles, CA)
- M.A. Music History and Literature, University of Southern California (Los Angeles, CA)
- B.M. Violin Performance, Biola University (La Mirada, CA)
- B.S. Mathematics, Biola University (La Mirada, CA)
After earning a Bachelor of Science in mathematics and a Bachelor of Music in violin performance, summa cum laude, from Biola University (2003), Leonora Wagner continued her studies at the University of Southern California, receiving a Master of Arts in music history and literature (2005) and a doctorate in historical musicology (2012) with a dissertation focusing on the writings and music of...
Music History I
Music History II