Steps to Graduate
Step 1: Approval to Graduate
Are you approved to graduate?
The information below will give you the basic information you need before commencement day! If you are not approved to graduate yet, make sure to contact the Registrar.
In order to be placed on the graduation list, you must meet the following requirements:
- Turn in your graduation petition.
- Meet with your graduation counselor.
- Passed your academic department's Writing Competency Requirement.
- Have all transcripts from other schools, substitution forms, etc. on record in the Office of the Registrar.
As a graduate student, you must complete the following one year or one semester prior to graduation:
- For all schools except for Talbot — you must meet with your academic advisor and receive approval to graduate, prior to meeting with a graduation counselor.
- Meet with a graduate graduation counselor in the Office of the Registrar.
- Petitions must be turned in by the last day to add courses (of the semester the student is enrolled in) to avoid the late charge.
- Your worksheet, substitution forms and transcripts must be approved a semester before graduation.
Step 2: Claim Commencement Tickets
Once you are approved to graduate by the registrar and have completed all degree requirements, you will be able to claim your tickets.
- Graduates will receive complimentary tickets to distribute to their guests for seating in Chase Gymnasium.
- An email with a link to the ticket request form will be sent to each graduate’s Biola email address.
- Request the number of complimentary tickets needed for your guests on the form. Please fill out the online ticket request form before December 1, 2017.
- Tickets will be sent via email to all graduating students’ Biola email addresses. Tickets will open in PDF format once you click on the link provided in the email, each with a unique barcode. Graduates are instructed to distribute tickets to their guests in digital or printed form. For ease of distributing tickets to your guests, we recommend using the Walletini app. Through this app you can transfer tickets to any of your guests who also have an account. This is the easiest and quickest way to share tickets with your guests.
- Guests will be asked to show tickets for entrance into the ceremony, but do not reserve a specific seat. All seating is available on a first come, first ushered basis.
- All guests are required to have a ticket to enter the commencement ceremony, except for children under the age of 5 who will be sitting with a family member and not using an additional seat. Tickets can be shown on a mobile device or on a printed hard copy to be scanned in.
- The Ticket Sales Team at the Biola Store will facilitate commencement ticket distribution. Please contact the Ticket Sales Team with questions:
(562) 944-0351 ext. 5904
Step 3: Final Details
1. Purchase a Cap and Gown
You can order caps, gowns and invitations at the following locations:
- Grad Finale
- Thursday, October 19 from 1:30 - 6:30 p.m. at the Biola Store
- Grad Finale is a convenient and the ideal time for you to purchase various commencement material.
- Biola Store
- If you are not able to attend Grad Finale you may purchase your items after October 19 at the Biola Store. To guarantee your cap and gown size, please place your order on October 19. For questions regarding cap and gown purchases, please contact Melissa at email@example.com.
If you are interested in purchasing flower bouquets or leis, Graduation Day Flowers allows family and friends to save time by placing a pre-order. Students and guests who place a pre-order will enjoy convenient pick up on commencement day. Shop now to benefit from promotional pricing. Students are encouraged to wear their leis on stage and in pictures.
2. Seating Assignments
Seating during the commencement ceremony is assigned. You will receive an email with your seating assignment prior to commencement rehearsal.
3. Attend Rehearsal (Mandatory)
Commencement rehearsals are mandatory. Please note the following rehearsal times for each ceremony:
- Commencement Ceremony A — 2 p.m.
- Rehearsal 11:00 a.m., Chase Gymnasium
- Commencement Ceremony B — 7 p.m.
- Rehearsal 9:00 a.m., Chase Gymnasium