Steps to Graduate
Step 1: Approval to Graduate
Are you approved to graduate?
The information below will give you the basic information you need before commencement day! If you are not approved to graduate yet, make sure to contact the Registrar.
In order to be placed on the graduation list, you must meet the following requirements:
- Turn in your graduation petition.
- Meet with your graduation counselor.
- Passed your academic department's Writing Competency Requirement.
- Have all transcripts from other schools, substitution forms, etc. on record in the Office of the Registrar.
As a graduate student, you must complete the following one year or one semester prior to graduation:
- For all schools except for Talbot — you must meet with your academic advisor and receive approval to graduate, prior to meeting with a graduation counselor.
- Meet with a graduate graduation counselor in the Office of the Registrar.
- Petitions must be turned in by the last day to add courses (of the semester the student is enrolled in) to avoid the late charge.
- Your worksheet, substitution forms and transcripts must be approved a semester before graduation.
Step 2: Claim Commencement Tickets
Once you are approved to graduate by the registrar and have completed all degree requirements, you will be able to claim your tickets.
- Graduates will receive up to eight (8) complimentary tickets to distribute to their guests for entrance into the ceremony.
- An email with a link to the ticket request form will be sent to each graduate’s Biola email address on October 25, 2018.
- Request the complimentary tickets needed for your guests on the form. Please fill out the online ticket request form before November 30, 2018.
- Tickets will be sent via email to all graduating students’ Biola email addresses. Tickets will be sent as a PDF through a hyperlink in the email within one to three business days. Graduates are asked to distribute tickets to their guests in either digital or printed form. For ease of distributing tickets to your guests, you may use the Walletini app. Through this app you can transfer tickets to any of your guests who also have an account.
- Guests will be asked to show tickets for scanned entrance into the ceremony. Tickets do not reserve a specific seat. All seating is on a first come, first ushered basis.
- Tickets are ceremony specific. All guests are required to have a ticket, except for children who do not require their own seat. At this point in time, no additional tickets are available for purchase due to capacity limitations of Chase Gymnasium.
- if tickets become available, they can be purchased by the public for $15 on the commencement website. Please check the commencement website for any updates. For those unable to attend, a live internet feed of the ceremonies will be available from the Biola homepage, www.biola.edu.
- The Ticket Sales Team will facilitate commencement ticket distribution. Please contact the Ticket Sales Team with questions:
(562) 906-4510 ext. 4510
Step 3: Final Details
1. Purchase a Cap and Gown
You can order caps, gowns and invitations at the following locations:
- Grad Finale
- Monday, October 22 from 1:00 - 7:00 p.m. and Thursday, October 25 from 1:00 - 7:00 p.m.
- Grad Finale is the convenient and ideal time for you to purchase various commencement material. October 22 is the first day students can order a cap and gown. October 25 is the last day students can order a cap and gown to guarantee they will receive the correct size by commencement.
- Biola Store
- If you are not able to attend Grad Finale you may purchase your items after Grad Finale at the Biola Store. Students are allowed to order after Thursday the 25th, but we are not able to guarantee that they will receive the size they require. Regalia will be available for pick up the week of November 26. Students that have placed an order will receive an email when the regalia arrives. For questions regarding cap and gown purchases, please contact the Biola Store Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are interested in purchasing flower bouquets or leis, Graduation Day Flowers allows family and friends to save time by placing a pre-order. Students and guests who place a pre-order will enjoy convenient pick up on commencement day. Shop now to benefit from promotional pricing. Students are encouraged to wear their leis on stage and in pictures.
2. Seating Assignments
Each student will have an assigned seat during the commencement ceremony. You will receive an email with your seating assignment prior to commencement rehearsal.
3. Attend Rehearsal (Mandatory)
Commencement rehearsals are mandatory. Please note the following rehearsal times for each ceremony:
- Commencement Ceremony A — 2 p.m.
- Rehearsal 11:00 a.m.
- Commencement Ceremony B — 7 p.m.
- Rehearsal 9:00 a.m.