Higher education is been growing so much in the area of digital learning that today, Feb. 22, 2018, is designated as Digital Learning Day. But what exactly is digital learning?
What is Digital Learning?
Digital learning is any instructional practice that effectively uses technology to strengthen a student’s learning experience. It emphasizes high-quality instruction and provides access to challenging content, feedback through formative assessment, opportunities for learning anytime and anywhere and individualized instruction to ensure all students reach their full potential to succeed in college and a career.
Digital learning encompasses many different facets, tools, and applications to support and empower teachers and students. Examples include online courses, blended or hybrid learning, and digital content and resources. Additionally, digital learning provides professional learning opportunities for teachers and personalized learning experiences for students.
At Biola, the Office of Digital Learning and Program Development is leading initiatives by:
- Overseeing the design, development, and implementation of online and hybrid courses at Biola.
- Managing the Canvas learning management system (LMS).
- Offering training for faculty and staff in online pedagogy and best practices, and providing technical support for the LMS and online teaching.
- Assisting with media production for online course components, including video recording and audio/visual presentations.
- Partnering with Biola LEARN, an educational platform that offers convenient, fully online courses or workshops to increase the student’s knowledge on certain subjects.
Additionally, digital learning advances education reform in four ways:
- It increases equity and access to educational opportunities.
- It Improves effectiveness and productivity of teachers and administrators.
- It provides student-centered learning to ensure college and career readiness for all students.
- It recognizes teachers as education designers.
A study from Massachusetts Institute of Technology states digital learning technologies help younger students learn more efficiently, more fully, with mastery and with best practices for an engaging educational experience. Read the full study in detail.
As Biola develops more online programs, students express how online learning has been impacting them.
“I just cannot express in words enough how grateful I am to the Lord for this opportunity. Everything has been life changing – from you and all the staff, the Professors and their Assistants, to the students, readings, assignments, discussions, and all of it… have been so amazing to me. Challenging, very much so, but truly amazing, more than I can say,” said Rachel, an online christian ministries student.
How can students participate in DL Day?
- Spread the word by talking to your friends and family about what digital learning is.
- Upload a picture or share a thought about your experience with digital learning in the classroom or online, and use #OfficialDLDay to spread the word.
- Share your thoughts about how you love your program, teacher, or success coaches by emailing email@example.com.
Happy Digital Learning Day!
Learn more about getting involved on the official Digital Learning Day website!