General Insurance Requirements
- All students enrolled in 7 units or more are required to have health insurance coverage under the Student Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan unless proof of comparable coverage is submitted to Biola University. Application for waiver of the student insurance plan must be submitted each semester at the time of enrollment.
- All students living on campus (regardless of unit load) are required to have health insurance coverage.
Eligible students who are unable to provide proof of coverage at the time of registration will be enrolled in the Student Health Insurance program.
For more information, please visit Gallagher Koster's website
Student Health Insurance Information
|8/1/13 - 7/31/14||8/1/13 – 1/31/14||2/1/14 – 7/31/14||6/1/14 – 7/31/14|
What changes have been made to the plan for the 2013-2014 Policy Year?
The Biola University Student Health Insurance Plan is compliant with the second phase of Federal Health Care Reform:
- The plan maximum has been increased from $100,000 per policy year to $500,000 per policy year.
- FrontierMEDEX is the new travel assistance provider for the 2013-2014 policy year.
What is covered under the Student Health Insurance Plan?
- The plan offers comprehensive benefits that include hospital room and board, inpatient and outpatient surgical procedures, labs and x-rays, chemotherapy and radiation, inpatient and outpatient mental health services, physician office visits, consultant visits, ambulance, emergency care and prescription drugs.
- Preventive Care Services are available to cover routine physicals and examinations, routine screenings, routine GYN examinations, and most immunizations with no cost sharing for a student when services are received by a Preferred Provider.
- The maximum benefit allowed per policy year is $500,000.
- Services provided by a Preferred Provider are generally covered at 80%, while services provided by an Out-of-Network Provider are generally covered at 60%.
- Please refer to the plan brochure available at www.gallagherkoster.com/biola by clicking on ‘My Benefits and Plan Information’ for complete details about coverage, limitations, and exclusions.
NAIA Collegiate Sports
All students involved in NAIA intercollegiate sports are automatically enrolled in a secondary athletic insurance policy. For more information, contact the Athletic Department at (562) 903-4887.