5. Use & Care of the Facilities


  • Residence hall kitchens are not intended for cooking on a regular basis, but are for preparing snacks and for special occasions.
  • Neither residence hall nor apartment kitchens are equipped with cookware, dishes or utensils.
  • Apartment kitchens are furnished with refrigerators, stoves, microwave ovens and garbage disposals. Li and Welch kitchens and most of the Lido Mirada apartments have dishwashers.
  • Policies related to residence hall lounge kitchen use are determined by each residence hall under the direction of the Residence Life staff.
  • Cooking is allowed only in the kitchens, not in residence hall rooms or apartment bedrooms.
  • The cleanliness of each kitchen is the responsibility of those who use it.

Laundry Rooms

  • Laundry rooms and laundry equipment are for the exclusive use of residents. No storage is allowed in laundry rooms. Clothes are to be dried only in the laundry rooms.
  • Residence hall washers and dryers and Li and Welch Apartment washers and dryers are card operated. Residents are provided a laundry card the first time they move into residence hall housing. Replacement cards may be purchased from designated add-value stations in residence hall lobbies.
  • Off-campus apartment washers and dryers are coin operated (quarters). Quarters may be obtained from the University Cashier during their posted business hours.
  • If a machine is out of order please report the specific problem, including the number and location of the broken machine, to Web Service Company at fixlaundry.com, or by calling 1-800-421-6897and selecting option “9” from the menu.


  • The University does not provide storage for student belongings.
  • Engines, motorcycles, mopeds, jet skis, tires, gasoline, oil cans or other flammable petroleum products may not be stored in any residence hall or apartment building at any time.
  • Storage of hazardous or toxic chemicals, substances or materials is strictly prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to: charcoal briquettes, charcoal starter fluid and other barbecue materials, propane tanks/bottles and photographic development chemicals.
  • Upon check-out, any personal property left in the residence halls or apartments will be considered abandoned and will be disposed of.


  • Each residence hall room and each bedroom in the apartments is supplied with a telephone. Please see the Information Technology website for information on telephone features and policies: http://offices1.biola.edu/it/services/phones/students/
  • Students can call other rooms and apartments at no charge by dialing the four-digit room extension number.
  • Students may call 800 numbers from room phones. All other off-campus calls require the use of a telephone calling card. Please see the Information Technology website for information on making and receiving calls: http://offices1.biola.edu/it/services/phones/calling/
  • Telephones are not to be removed from rooms or apartments. Students who wish to use their own telephones must store the University's phone in the room or apartment and put it back in place at check out.
  • Charges for missing telephones or for telephone repairs not due to normal wear and tear are the responsibility of the residents of the room or apartment to which the telephone is assigned.
  • Vandalism, telephone threats, or tampering with electrical or telephone equipment is not permitted. Failure to comply may result in severe disciplinary action and/or further action taken by the appropriate University department.
  • Please report all disturbing or harassing telephone calls to Campus Safety (562-903-6000).


Report any problems with vending machines to Carolyn White, (carolyn.white@biola.edu or 562-944-0351 ext. 5810). Refunds are given at the Auxiliary Services front desk, Student Services Building.


  • The University shall provide regular custodial service to common areas and maintenance services as needed.
  • Residents of suite-style rooms are responsible to clean the bathrooms between monthly custodial cleanings. Limited cleaning supplies for suite bathrooms can be obtained from the Residence Life staff. Regular inspections for cleanliness and compliance with state health guidelines will take place.
  • Apartment residents are responsible to clean the bathrooms, kitchens and shared living spaces. Regular inspections for cleanliness and compliance with state health guidelines will take place.


  • Please report any pest problems in your room, apartment or hall to Auxiliary Services at extension 5812. Pest control professionals are on campus on a weekly basis. Residence Life staff members can also provide insecticide spray for emergencies.
  • Do not use “bug bombs” in residence hall rooms or apartments because the fog will activate smoke alarms. Residents who use bug bombs will be held liable for tampering with fire equipment.


  • Maintenance technicians work in the buildings between the hours of 9:30 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. During these hours Residents are advised to use discretion in their dress when walking through the hallways and common areas.

Reporting maintenance needs

  • Any needed repairs should be reported to the Facilities Management maintenance line, extension 4898. Facilities Management repairs include heating and air conditioning, doors not securing, carpentry, broken windows and screens/window parts, plumbing and electrical/lighting needs.
  • Students shall make their assigned premises available to University staff between the hours of 9:30 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. for the purpose of entering to make necessary repairs, alterations or improvements, or to supply necessary services, or to show the premises to prospective residents, workmen, or contractors.

Light bulbs

  • 52-watt incandescent light bulbs may be obtained from the Residence Life staff member on duty. If higher wattage bulbs are needed contact the Maintenance Line, x4898.
  • Replacement of all other kinds of bulbs should be requested through the Facilities Management maintenance line, extension 4898.

Vacuum cleaners

  • Vacuum cleaners are available in each residence hall and in the Li and Welch apartment buildings and may be checked out through the Residence Life staff.
  • A vacuum cleaner is provided for each Lido Mirada, Beachcomber, Tradewind, Tropicana and La Mirada apartment. Replacement bags, if needed, may be obtained through the Residence Life staff.


  • In an emergency, the University's staff may enter the premises at any time for the purpose of making corrections or repairs.

Your responsibilities

  • Students are expected to maintain the assigned premises in good condition. Upon termination of this Contract, Students shall surrender the premises in the same condition as when received, ordinary wear and tear and acts of nature excepted.


  • Students are to be responsible for the area in which they live.

Room Condition Forms

  • Each Student is required to complete and return a Room Condition Form to the Housing office at the time they check into their room or apartment for the academic year. All pre-existing damage or missing items should be listed on these forms for the Student’s protection. Any damaged or missing items found during subsequent inspections that are not included on the Room Condition Form will be assumed to have occurred since the Form was submitted, and the room/apartment residents will be held financially responsible for the repair or replacement of the damaged or missing item(s).

Report damage immediately

  • Students who cause damage in their room or apartment or any part of a building should report it immediately to their Residence Life staff. Timely reporting could decrease the cost of repair and could lessen the overall impact of the damage. Any fees for repair will be charged to their responsible Student's school account.

Shared responsibility

  • If the individual responsible for damage, loss or defacement cannot be determined, the relevant costs will be automatically and equally assessed to the residents of the room, apartment, suite, hall, floor or building and may result in consequences appropriate to the situation.

Art Projects

  • Work on projects that involves painting or dyeing should not be done inside any residence hall or apartment or on any wall, sidewalk, balcony, patio, deck or other building surface. This includes personal projects as well as Art Department assignments.

Trash Disposal

  • A wastebasket is provided for every residence hall room and apartment bedroom.
  • Trash is to be dumped in the large bins outside the buildings. Trash or e-waste may not be left outside your door or in any common area. A minimum fine of $25 will be assessed for any trash left in a hallway or common area.
  • Lobby and laundry room trash containers and those in front of building entrances should not be used for depositing trash from Students' room or apartments.


  • In keeping with the University’s campus-wide recycling program, trash must be separated into appropriate bins.
  • Receptacles for mixed paper and commingling hard items, e.g. aluminum, plastic or glass, are in each on-campus building.
  • All recyclable cans and bottles must be placed in the bins provided by the University. No personal or group recycling is allowed. Recycle drives to benefit special projects may be approved through the Grounds Department (call Facilities Management, ext. 4897) and appropriate containers will be provided.
  • Students may obtain mixed paper recycling boxes for their rooms or apartments by calling Facilities Management, extension 4898. Non-recyclable trash should not be placed in recycle containers.
  • E-Waste must be disposed of separately from other trash or recyclables. E-Waste includes anything that can be plugged in or that uses batteries: computers, monitors, calculators, hair dryers, etc. E-Waste also includes all sizes of broken fluorescent light bulbs. Place E-Waste in lobby containers labeled “Batteries & E-Waste Only”, or in the E-Waste drop-off stations behind Hope Hall, Horton Hall or Alpha.

Community Restrooms

  • Personal items should not be left in community restrooms (Alpha, Emerson, Hart Hall, Hope Hall, Horton Hall, Stewart Quads). Items left in the restrooms will be disposed of by Housekeeping.


  • “Housing Walk-Thru” inspections will be conducted by Residence Life staff during the Fall semester. Failure to comply with safety regulations will result in a minimum $25 fine and/or disciplinary action.
  • Room and apartment inspection is handled by the University Housekeeping staff for the purpose of ensuring that rooms, suite bathrooms and apartments are cleaned in accordance with the standards of cleanliness established by the County Health Department.
  • Inventory inspections will be conducted during the Fall and Spring semesters by Auxiliary Services personnel to ensure that the appropriate furnishings are in each room/apartment and that no furnishings have been inappropriately stored in common areas.
  • Inspections will also be used to ensure that decorations are in keeping with Housing regulations and the behavioral standards of the University.
  • University personnel reserve the right to enter a room or apartment at any time upon reasonable cause to take those precautions deemed necessary to protect the health and safety of its occupants and the condition of the facility, or to enforce University policy.