8. Meal Plans
Meal Plan Policies
The meal plan week is Sunday through Saturday.
Uneaten meals are not carried over from week to week or from semester to semester. Specials are on Facebook and Twitter.
The following week’s menu will be posted on the Bon Appetit web site and at the entrance of the Café
Minimum meal plan requirement for residents
- All residents of residence hall housing (apartments excluded), whether full- or part-time, are required to purchase a minimum 10 meals per week plan
- If you do not select a meal plan by the end of Registration or at the time you move into on-campus residence hall housing you will be assigned the 20 Flex plan.
- Commuters and residents of Biola apartments are not required to contract for meal plans. Those who elect to do so are not held to the Contract in the same way as resident students and may change or cancel their meal plan at any time.
- The meal plan you select in the Fall will remain the same for the Spring semester (including the 5 Flex and Block plans) unless you make a change. Spring meal plan changes may be made in MyHousing beginning December 1.
No free meals or credit
- Financial responsibility for the meal plan begins Opening Day of each semester; there are no "free meal" periods.
- Credit will not be granted for meals not eaten.
Purchasing or Changing Meal Plans, Purchasing Flex Dollars
Follow these procedures to purchase or change a meal plan, or to add Student Dollars:
- Log into https://my.biola.edu
- Select the Student tab.
- Click the Go to MyHousing! link in the MyHousing section of the tab.
- On the “select a MyHousing System” screen, click the Login button under MyHousing.
- The Navigation menu in the upper left corner of the screen will list several options. Select Dining.
- Depending on the time of year, information for more than one term may be displayed. In the section for the correct term, choose either Select a New Dining Plan or Purchase Dining Points from the drop-down menu. Click the Continue button.
- When you have selected the meal plan you want or added Student Dollars, click Submit.
- The Student Dollars you purchase may be used for either dining or for printing/copying
Meal Plans during “late” registration
- All students who have not completely enrolled by the beginning of the semester will have their ID card access inactivated until they complete enrollment. When they have completed enrollment their ID card access will be turned back on.
- During late enrollment, students with inactivated ID cards may pay cash for meals at the retail facilities. No refunds will be given for the days the ID card access is inactive.
- Students using the Café dining room may leave a $5.00 deposit at each meal which is then refunded once they finalize enrollment and their ID card access is restored.
- Flex plans each include meals-per-week which are eaten in the Café plus additional dollars that can be spent to treat guests, to eat in the Café, or to purchase food at the Eagle’s Nest, Common Grounds, The Talon or coffee cart. Flex plan purchasers receive Flex Dollars each semester.
- If you use all your Flex Dollars, you may purchase additional Student Dollars using the instructions above under Purchasing or Changing Meal Plans, Purchasing Student Dollars. Additional Student Dollars may also be purchased at any food venue register, or at the Phil Station in the Library.
- The software which tracks your meal plan and Flex Dollar use distinguishes between the Flex Dollars which come with your original meal plan purchase, and Student Dollars which you purchase separately. The additional Dollars you purchase are called “Student Dollars” in this software. As you spend your Flex Dollars, the software will subtract them first from the Flex Dollars attached to your original meal plan purchase, then switch to your Student Dollars once the original Flex Dollars are gone. If a food venue cashier says you are out of Flex Dollars and you have purchased additional Student Dollars in MyHousing, ask them to check your Student Dollars.
- The 10-meals-per-week plan does not have Flex Dollars attached. If you change from a Flex Plan to the 10-meals-per week plan (without Flex) any current balance of Flex Dollars at the time of the change will be lost.
- Unused Flex Dollars are carried over from the fall semester to the spring semester of the same academic year, but do not carry over to the summer or next academic year. They only carry over if you continue to have a Flex plan in the spring.
- To be able to use Flex Dollars remaining on your account at the end of the fall semester you must have a Flex Plan during spring semester. Flex Dollars do not carry over past the end of the spring semester.
- Students who run out of Café meals during any given week may use Flex or Student Dollars to pay the door price for additional meals.
- Unused Flex Dollars cannot be refunded, spent or claimed when you leave Biola or after the last class day of the spring semester.
- Student Dollars are not deleted at the end of Spring semester. They remain on your account for use in future terms, and can be refunded to you if you withdraw or graduate.
- Block Plans give access to any 40 or 175 meals at the Café during a semester for any combination of breakfasts, lunches or dinners. Meals left over at the end of the fall semester do not carry over to interterm or spring. To be able to use Flex Dollars remaining on your account at the end of the fall semester you must have a Flex Plan or Block Plan during spring semester. You may use your Block meals to bring as many guests as you like for any meal period.
- The 40 Block Plan is for commuter students or students who live in Biola apartment housing only. The 175 Block Plan is available to all students.
- If you purchase a Block Plan in the Fall your meal plan will remain the same for the Spring.
- Students who use all 40 meals of the 40 Block Plan before the end of a semester may purchase an additional meal plan (even an additional 40 Block plan, the 40 Block 2).
- Unused meals cannot be refunded or claimed when you leave Biola or after the last class day of the semester.
Meal Plan Changes
- Meal plans may be increased any time.
- Students wishing to decrease their meal plan may do so:
- prior to the fall semester until Friday, September 7, 2012;
- after fall semester and prior to spring semester until Friday, February 8, 2013.
- Meal plans may only be increased after these deadlines
- Students with voluntary meal plans may increase, decrease or cancel at any time.
Interterm and Summer Meal Plans
- Interterm and Summer Meal Plan Contracts are optional for all students and must be contracted separately from the academic year Housing & Food Service Contract.
- To sign up for Interterm or Summer meal plans, go to http://www.biola.edu/offices/auxiliaryservices/mealplans/1112/ and click on the link in the Meal Plan Rates For Interterm and Summer section.
- Students who have Flex plan Contracts for spring semester may use leftover Flex or Student Dollars from the fall semester during Interterm
ID Card Used For Access
- The Biola University ID Card is your official photo ID for all University access purposes, including access to the Café and Flex dollar use.
- Meal Plan holders who forget their ID card but wish to enter the Café will be asked to leave a $5.00 refundable deposit (cash or check). Deposits may be reclaimed at Café Office during business hours by showing the ID card.
- ID cards will be taken at the Café door for those entering but not eating. If the student then chooses to eat, a meal will be deducted.
- The replacement cost for lost, stolen or defaced ID cards is $20.
- Students involved in food fights, napkin or ice tossing, eating without paying, or other behavioral problems will be asked to leave and will be subject to disciplinary action.
- Students found sneaking themselves or friends in to the Café without swiping their ID card or paying will be subject to disciplinary action.
- Due to health and safety concerns, shoes and shirts are required at all times in the Café, Eagles’ Nest, the Talon and Common Grounds.
- Meal Plan holders with food allergies or other health issues can arrange with the Café office to have special meals prepared. Resident students are not exempted from the meal plan requirement due to allergies or health issues.
- A gluten-free bar is provided in the Café.
- A special “Simple 600” calorie meal option is available in the Café during lunch and dinner.
- Meal plan holders may exchange a Cafe meal for a meal in the Eagle's Nest, Common Grounds or The Talon, Monday-Thursday from 11:00 AM to 7:30 PM, or Friday from 11:00 AM to 1:30 PM.
- All meal plans qualify for the Meal Plan Equivalency option.
- Meal Plan holders who may miss a meal due to work or class schedule may arrange with the Café office for a sack meal or take out meal.
- For a nominal fee, Meal Plan holders may purchase a single to-go container for lunch or dinner Café meals, Monday – Friday. The containers are made of biodegradable materials. Student are not permitted to eat in and take out left over food. Food will not be available for takeout at breakfast or weekends. Meal Plan holders may also bring in a personal small plastic container to use for a to-go meal. All other dishes, cups, trays, and utensils must remain in the Café.
- Meal Plan holders who dine in the Café may take out items within reason, i.e., one piece of fruit, a cookie, one ice cream or one drink to enjoy later. Taking bulk food items is not permitted (i.e., several bagels, a loaf of bread, etc.).
- Students unable to eat in the Café due to illness may have a friend bring them a to-go meal. The person picking up the food will need the ill student’s ID card.
- Group pack-outs must be submitted to the Café office 7 days in advance of the event and are for social events organized by official groups on campus. A minimum 48-hour cancellation notice is required to prevent being charged. Meals are not refunded for group pack-outs which are cancelled less than 48 hours in advance. Student meals are taken off beginning on Wednesday the week of the event and cannot be returned; students are urged to plan meal use wisely when involved in one or more pack-out events. The organizing department account number will be charged for meals if any of the participating students do not have available meals on their account.
- Resident students on Jenny Craig, NutriSystems, Weight Watchers or any other program that provides food are still obligated to have a meal plan.
- Bon Appétit will arrange special meals for students with dietary restrictions.
- Meals will not be provided during Thanksgiving Break, Christmas Break and Easter Break except the Sunday after Thanksgiving and the Sunday after Easter Break.
- The Housing & Food Service Contract does not include Interterm or Summer meal plans. Interterm and Summer meal plans may be purchased separately through the Auxiliary Services Office, Student Services Building.
- One type of meal plan (regular, flex, block or commuter) is allowed per person. No combination plans are allowed.
- Students on a 5 flex, 10, 10 flex, 12 flex, 15 flex, or 20 flex meal plan may only swipe their card once per meal period at the Cafe. i.e. once per breakfast period, lunch period, or dinner period. Please refer to Cafe hours posted at http://www.cafebonappetit.com/menu/your-cafe/cafebiola/cafes/details/17/caf-biola#cafe-hours to determine meal periods."
Sack Meals, To Go Meals, Pack-Outs, Etc.
Weight loss plans
Meal plan limitation
Hours of Operation
During the Academic Year (see IMPORTANT DATES), food service operations will be open for service according to the following schedule. No meal service is provided during Thanksgiving Break, Christmas Break and Easter Break.
Café Dining Room
|Monday – Thursday|
|Continuous Dining||7:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.|
|Breakfast & Lunch||7:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.|
|Dinner||4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.|
|Saturday Brunch||10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.|
|Saturday Dinner||5:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.|
|Sunday Continental Breakfast||7:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.|
|Sunday Brunch||12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.|
|Sunday Dinner||5:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.|
|Monday – Thursday||8:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m.|
|Friday||8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.|
|Saturday||11:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.|
|Sunday||1:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.|
|Monday – Friday||7:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m.|
|Saturday||9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
6:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m.
|Sunday||7:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m.|
|Monday – Thursday||7:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.|
|Friday||7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.|
Bon Appétit Office
|Monday – Friday|
|9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.|
Hours of Operation and Menu Information can be found at the Bon Appétit at Biola website.