6. Care of the Facilities


  • The University shall provide regular custodial service to common areas and maintenance services as needed.
  • Residents of suite-style rooms are responsible to clean the bathrooms between monthly custodial cleanings. Limited cleaning supplies for suite bathrooms can be obtained from the Residence Life staff. Regular inspections for cleanliness and compliance with state health guidelines will take place.
  • Apartment residents are responsible to clean the bathrooms, kitchens and shared living spaces. Regular inspections for cleanliness and compliance with state health guidelines will take place.


  • If you notice insects or rodents in your room, apartment or building, please call Auxiliary Services at extension 5812. Pest control professionals are on campus on a weekly basis. Residence Life staff members can also provide insecticide spray for emergencies.
  • Do not use “bug bombs” in residence hall rooms or apartments. The fog will activate smoke alarms and you will be held liable for tampering with fire equipment.


  • Maintenance technicians work in the buildings between the hours of 9:30 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. During these hours you are advised to use discretion in your dress when walking through the hallways and common areas.

Reporting maintenance needs

  • Any needed repairs should be reported to the Facilities Services maintenance line, extension 4898. Facilities Services repairs include heating and air conditioning, doors not securing, carpentry, broken windows and screens/window parts, plumbing and electrical/lighting needs.
  • You shall make your assigned premises available to University staff between the hours of 9:30 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. for the purpose of entering to make necessary repairs, alterations or improvements, or to supply necessary services, or to show the premises to prospective residents, workmen, or contractors.

Light bulbs

  • 52-watt incandescent light bulbs may be obtained from the Residence Life staff member on duty. If higher wattage bulbs are needed contact the Maintenance Line, x4898.
  • Replacement of all other kinds of bulbs should be requested through the Facilities Services maintenance line, extension 4898.

Vacuum cleaners

  • Vacuum cleaners are available in each residence hall and in the Li and Welch apartment buildings and may be checked out through the Residence Life staff.
  • A vacuum cleaner is provided for each Lido Mirada, Beachcomber, Tradewind and Tropicana apartment. Replacement bags, if needed, may be obtained through the Residence Life staff.


  • In an emergency, the University's staff may enter the premises at any time for the purpose of making corrections or repairs.

Your responsibilities

  • You are expected to maintain your assigned premises in good condition. Upon termination of this Contract, you shall surrender the premises in the same condition as when received, ordinary wear and tear and acts of nature excepted.


  • You are to be responsible for the area in which you live.

Report damage immediately

  • If for any reason you cause damage in your room or apartment or any part of a building, report it immediately to your Residence Life staff. Timely reporting could decrease the cost of repair and could lessen the overall impact of the damage. Any fees for repair will be charged to your school account.

Shared responsibility

  • If the individual responsible for damage, loss or defacement cannot be determined, the relevant costs will be automatically and equally assessed to the residents of the room, apartment, suite, hall, floor or building and may result in consequences appropriate to the situation.

Art Projects

  • Work on projects that involves painting or dyeing should not be done inside any residence hall or apartment or on any wall, sidewalk, balcony, patio, deck or other building surface. This includes personal projects as well as Art Department assignments.

Trash Disposal

  • A wastebasket is provided for every residence hall room and apartment bedroom.
  • Trash is to be dumped in the large bins outside the buildings. Trash or e-waste may not be left outside your door or in any common area. A minimum fine of $25 will be assessed for any trash left in a hallway or common area.
  • Lobby and laundry room trash containers and those in front of building entrances should not be used for depositing trash from your room or apartment.


  • In keeping with the University’s campus-wide recycling program, trash must be separated into appropriate bins.
  • Receptacles for mixed paper and commingling hard items, e.g. aluminum, plastic or glass, are in each on-campus building.
  • All recyclable cans and bottles must be placed in the bins provided by the University. No personal or group recycling is allowed. Recycle drives to benefit special projects may be approved through the Grounds Department (call Facilities Services, ext. 4897) and appropriate containers will be provided.
  • You may obtain mixed paper recycling boxes for your room or apartment by calling Facilities Services, extension 4898. Non-recyclable trash should not be placed in recycle containers.
  • E-Waste must be disposed of separately from other trash or recyclables. E-Waste includes anything that can be plugged in or that uses batteries: computers, monitors, calculators, hair dryers, etc. E-Waste also includes all sizes of broken fluorescent light bulbs. Place E-Waste in lobby containers labeled “Batteries & E-Waste Only”, or in the E-Waste drop-off stations behind Hope Hall, Horton Hall or Alpha.

Community Restrooms

  • Personal items should not be left in community restrooms (Alpha, Emerson, Hart Hall, Hope Hall, Horton Hall, Stewart Quads). Items left in the restrooms will be disposed of by Housekeeping.


  • “Housing Walk-Thru” inspections will be conducted by Residence Life staff during the Fall semester. Failure to comply with safety regulations will result in a minimum $25 fine and/or disciplinary action.
  • Room and apartment inspection is handled by the University Housekeeping staff for the purpose of ensuring that rooms, suite bathrooms and apartments are cleaned in accordance with the standards of cleanliness established by the County Health Department.
  • Inventory inspections will be conducted during the Fall and Spring semesters by Auxiliary Services personnel to ensure that the appropriate furnishings are in each room/apartment and that no furnishings have been inappropriately stored in common areas.
  • Inspections will also be used to ensure that decorations are in keeping with Housing regulations and the behavioral standards of the University.
  • University personnel reserve the right to enter a room or apartment at any time upon reasonable cause to take those precautions deemed necessary to protect the health and safety of its occupants and the condition of the facility, or to enforce University policy.