Keith J. Edwards
- Ph.D., University of Southern California
- Ph.D., New Mexico State University
- M.A., New Mexico State University
- B.Ed., University of Wisconsin
Dr. Keith J. Edwards is a Professor of Psychology in the Rosemead School of Psychology at Biola University. He holds a Ph. D. in quantitative methods from New Mexico State University and a Ph. D. in clinical and social psychology from the University of Southern California. His primary clinical interests are marital and individual therapy using emotionally focused, attachment based, experiential approaches. He has received Level I & II training in Emotion Focused Therapy for individuals with Dr. Leslie Greenberg, the founder of EFT. He is a certified EFT Couple therapist having received training from Dr. Susan Johnson. He teaches courses in individual and couple therapy at Rosemead using EFT and has conducted seminars presenting EFT to professionals in the US and Asia. Dr. Edwards conducts research on relationships integrating emotion theory, attachment theory, and spirituality. He is the co-developer with Dr. Todd Hall of the Spiritual Assessment Inventory. He has held prior faculty positions at Rutgers University and Johns Hopkins University.
- American Psychological Association (Member)
- Christian Association for Psychological Studies (Member)
- Hill, P. C., Edwards, K. J., & Hill, J. P. (In Press). “Religious pluralism and higher education institutional contexts: Implications for research.” In A. Bryant Rockenbach & M. J. Mayhew (Eds.), Spirituality enacted in higher education: Translating research into practice. New York: Routledge
- Edwards, K.J. & Rodriguez, R.S. (In press). “Counseling Internationally: Caring for the Caregiver.” In Kottler, J. & Carlson, J. (Eds). When Therapists Sustain Social Action. New York: Routledge.
- Edwards, K.J., Hall, T.W., Slater, W. Sandage, S. & Hill, J. (2011). “The Multidimensional Structure of the Quest Construct.” Journal of Psychology and Theology, 39Â¸87-110.
- Kim, S, Williams, J.K., Edwards, K.J. & Hall, T.W. (2011). “In Pursuit of Interpersonal Distance and Self-Reliance: Neural Substrates of Attachment System Deactivation in Avoidant Individuals.” Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association, 59:588-592.
- Flere, S., Edwards, K.J., & Klanjsek, R. (2008). “Religious orientation in three central European environments: Quest, intrinsic, and extrinsic dimensions. ”International Journal for the Psychology of Religion. 18 (1), 1-21
- Hall, M.E., Edwards, K.J., & Hall, T.W. (2006). “The role of spiritual and psychological development in the cross-cultural adjustment of missionaries.” Mental Health, Religion & Culture, 9(2): 193-208.
- Edwards, K.J. (2003). “It takes a village to save a marriage.” Journal of Psychology and Theology, 31, 188-195
- Edwards, K. J., & Hall, T.W. (2003). “Illusory spiritual health: The role of defensiveness in understanding and assessing spiritual health.” In T.W. Hall & M.R. McMinn (Eds.). spiritual formation, counseling, and psychotherapy (pp. 261-275). New York: Nova Science Publishers
- Hall, T.W., & Edwards, K.J. (2002). “The Spiritual Assessment Inventory: A theistic model and measure for assessing spiritual development.” Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion, 41(2), 341-357
- Slater, W. E., Hall, T.W., & Edwards, K.J. (2001). “Measuring religion and spirituality: Where are we and where are we going?” Journal of Psychology and Theology, 29, 4-21
- Edwards, K.J. (2011). Marriage: A crucible of love. Invited plenary address, Annual Mental Health Missions Conference, Nov. 15-18. Angola, IN
- SGeevarughese, M.C., Edwards, K, & Kim, C.L. (2011). Attachment Style and Identity Status as Predictors of Romantic Relationship Quality Among American and Malaysian Young Adults. Presented at the annual meeting of the American Psychological Association, Washington, D.C.
- Fleming, M. & Edwards, K. (2011). The Influence of Attachment, Sexual Behavior, and Religiosity on Well-Being Following Termination of Pre-Marital Relationships. A paper presented at the annual meeting of the Christian Association for Psychological Studies, Indianapolis, IN.
- Kim, S., Williams, J.K., Edwards, K.J. & Hall, T.W. (2011). In Pursuit of Interpersonal Distance and Self-Reliance: Neural Substrates of Attachment System Deactivation in Avoidant Individuals. Presented at the annual meeting of the American Psychoanalytic Association.
- Edwards, K.J. (2011). Compassion focused and other experientially-focused therapies. A seminar presented to the counseling center staff and professionals, Tartu University, Tartu, Estonia.
- Kim, H. C. & Edwards, K.J. (2010). God Image, Shame, and Psychological Adjustment among College Students: A Korea - U.S. Cross Cultural Study/ Presented at the annual meeting of the Asian American Psychological Association, San Diego, CA, August, 2010
- Kim, S., Williams, J. K., Edwards, K. J., & Hall, T. W. (2010, October). The processing of threats to self-sufficiency in avoidantly attached individuals: a neurophysiological investigation. Poster session presented at themeeting of the Society for Psychophysiological Research, Portland, OR.
- Edwards, K.J. (2010). Emotion-Focused Therapy for Depression. A professional training seminar presented to psychologist, Tartu, Estonia.
- Widger, C., Edwards, K., Tranggono, F. & Fallon, D. (2009). Engaging in Virtuous Behaviors: Attachment and Moral Identity in Marriage. Poster session presented at the annual convention of the American Psychological Association, Toronto, Canada.
- Hall, T.W., Edwards,K.J., & Slater, W. (August 2002). "Latent relational dimensions of spirituality: Higher order factor structure and application of Item Response Theory." Paper presented at the 110th Annual convention of the American Psychological Association, Chicago, IL
- Edwards, K.J., Murray, W.F., Hall, T.W., Lin, O., & Sleeper, H. (August 2000). "Applying the Illusory Mental Health Model to religious and spiritual assessment." Paper presented at the Annual Convention of the American Psychological Association, Washington, D.C.