Torrey Rome is a two-week study abroad opportunity for students of the Torrey Honors Institute. Students will live together and attend regular Torrey sessions in Rome, Italy on pre-read selected texts focused on the richness of Rome’s history, both Christian and pagan (readings differ each year). Participants visit sites of Rome’s great art and architecture, including the famed Borghese Museum- home to five Caravaggio paintings and several famous Bernini statues- as well as the four major Roman basilicas, the Catacombs of St. Callistus, the Colosseum, the Ufficio Scavi beneath St. Peter’s Basilica and the Vatican Museums, including the Sistine Chapel. Students may also choose to take day trips to nearby cities, such as Assisi and Subiaco. Finally, students will attend an English-speaking, Protestant church together in order to worship with Roman believers in the Eternal City and the historical heart of western Christianity.
Quick Information At-A-Glance:
- Tuition: Approximately $2000
- Biola off campus program fee: $50
- Museum entry fees: App. $125
- Approximate airfare and food (students purchase): $1,300
Biola / Torrey Credits:
- Transfers in as 4 Torrey units
- Can be applied toward junior or senior Torrey credits or can act as a substitute for the Torrey Thesis
Application Dates: Will be announced each spring to Torrey students. Watch the Torrey Honors group for updates!
Dates Offered: Torrey Rome is offered only during Interterm in January. Specific dates will be released annually to students of the Institute.
- Attend a mandatory meeting in the Spring semester preceding the trip.
- Request mentor approval and pay a non-refundable deposit of $500 to the Torrey Office in May of the preceding year.
- Fill out a study abroad form for the Office of the Registrar (will be made available electronically to the students selected for the trip).
- Apply (early!) for a passport if you do not already have one.
- Get a head start on the assigned reading!(Click here for a sample reading list).
- Keep checking the Torrey Rome group for updates and pertinent information.
Professors In Attendance: Torrey Rome is led by Professor Greg Peters and his wife Christina. Occasionally other guest professors join the trip.