Every summer a privileged group of Torrey students (Freshmen to Seniors) travel north to cram four units of class into three intense weeks in Berkeley, California. By having students live and study together at the Westminster House (an historic campus ministry across from Berkeley’s law school), Torrey Berkeley enables spiritual bonding and intellectual growth in a more intensive environment than is possible during the school year.
Torrey tutors Dr. Paul Spears and Dr. Fred Sanders supervise and lead the trip; additionally, students interact with stimulating leaders such as Berkeley’s Dr. Phillip Johnson (who inspired Dr. Reynolds to found the Torrey program). Cultural and educational points of interest include UC Berkeley, half a dozen art museums (including the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, the Legion of Honor Museum, and the Cartoon Art Museum), the California Shakespeare Festival in Orinda, the Monterey Bay Aquarium, the halls of political power in nearby Sacramento, high tea in a fine hotel in the city, Berkeley's legendary used book stores, and more. Click here to read about the culture we require you to partake in.
Quick Information At-A-Glance:
- Average total cost of Torrey Berkeley: $3,500.
- Tuition and registration fees for one regular summer school course are paid to Biola University.
- Students also pay for their transportation to and from the Westminster House in San Francisco, for their room at the Westminster House, for parking if they bring a car, for necessary books, transportation, and entrance fees for various cultural sites.
- In terms of board, students may choose to coordinate meals together with other students, dine at one of the many fine restaurants in Berkeley, or combine the two depending on personal preference.
Biola / Torrey Credits:
- Transfers in as 4 Torrey units
- Can be applied toward junior or senior Torrey credits or can act as a substitute for the Torrey Thesis.
- Will be announced annually to Torrey students via BUBBS. Watch the main THI and Torrey Abroad folders for updates!
- Torrey Berkeley is offered only during the summer, typically in June. Specific dates will be released annually to students of the Institute.
- Attend a mandatory meeting in the spring semester preceding the trip (announced via BUBBS).
- Request mentor approval and pay a non-refundable deposit of $300 to the Torrey Office.
- Fill out a study abroad form for the Office of the Registrar (will be made available as an attachment in the Torrey Rome folder on BUBBS).
- Get a head start on the assigned reading! (Click here for an example reading list).
- Keep checking the Torrey Berkeley folder on BUBBS for continual updates and pertinent information.
Professors In Attendance:
- Torrey Berkeley is led by Professors Paul Spears and Fred Sanders as well as their wives Lisa and Susan. Occasionally, other professors tutor on this trip, including Professor Matt Jenson.