Distance Learning Certificate Program in Christian Apologetics
The Certificate Program in Christian Apologetics is open to everyone regardless of educational background. There are no prerequisites for this course. We believe that every Christian should have access to training in apologetics regardless of age, careers, time restraints, denomination, or finances. The Certificate Program is an accessible way to begin studying the field of apologetics. We invite you to come learn about the relevancy and importance of the apologetics conversation today.
The Program of Study
The Distance Certificate Program is comprised of recordings from our Defending the Faith Lecture Series. Each course of the certificate program includes eight unique audio lectures by top apologists in their respective fields of specialty, as well as course notes and a certificate quiz. Each course of the Certificate Program comes in one convenient package (or "module"), and the student earns a Certificate of Study in Christian Apologetics upon successful completion of all three modules. For further learning, each module comes with recommended reading and writing assignments. As a distance program, there is no class time required and the program is completed at your own pace.
Benefits of the Certificate Program
Some of the top benefits of the Certificate Program include:
- Open to all: No required educational background or prerequisites to begin the Certificate Program.
- Convenience & Flexibility: Complete the program at your own pace.
- Distance learning format No class time or campus visits required.
- Affordability:Purchase our low-cost modules individually ($95 each) as you can afford, or altogether ($285).
- Earn MA Credit: Earn credit towards an MA in Christian Apologetics or Science & Religion degree (find out more below).
Earning MA Credit
In order to receive 2 semester units of credit toward Biola's MA in Christian Apologetics for each Defending the Faith Lecture Series, follow this procedure to receive a maximum of 6 semester units:
- During the Certificate Program, complete all work required of MA Students (read the recommended textbooks, take all quizzes and complete the essay's).
- Apply for the MA in Christian Apologetics Program
- Applications for the Spring semester are due by December 1; applications for the Fall semester are due by July 1.
- Request transcripts and letters of recommendation.
- Once an Apologetics MA student, sign up during registration for CSAP 604 in addition to any other classes.
- Up to 6 units of CSAP 604 are allowed for students who have taken up to three Defending the Faith Lecture Series.
- Pay the full tuition rate for the units during registration.
- The final grade for CSAP 604 will be based on the grade given for the final exam during the lecture series.
- $15 Application Fee (One-time fee for first module)
- $95 per module (3)
- $30 Grading Fee Per Module
- $5 Shipping Fee*
*Standard shipping method is USPS Media Mail. For expedited shipping options or international shipping and handling costs, please contact our our office at 1-888-332-4652.
How to Order
- Download the application and email it to email@example.com, or mail to 12625 La Mirada Blvd.1st Floor La Mirada, CA 90638
- Call our office to order one or all of the modules at 1-888-332-4652 (check or credit card accepted).
- Send quizzes by mail or scan and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Quizzes are graded and mailed back to the student.
- Is there a time limit on each module?
- No. There is not a time limit or deadline for completing each module. It is done completely at your own pace.
- Each module contains 8 CD's, that are 2-3 hours each. That is about 20 hours of lecture per module. Some students complete the program in a month or two, others take a year or more. The program is designed for you to work through the modules at a pace that is best for you.
- The quizzes are fill-in-the-blank and short answer. They closely follow the lectures and course notes.
- 8 CD's (2-3 Hours in length)
- Course lecture notes
- Fill-in-the-blank quiz
- No. You are welcome to order one or more modules at a time.
- The Case for Faith: A Personal Exploration by Lee Strobel, M.L.S.
- The Absurdity of Life without God by William Lane Craig, Ph.D., D. Theol.
- Arguments for the Existence of God by J.P. Moreland, Ph.D.
- Solving the Problem of Evil by Garrett J. DeWeese, Ph.D.
- Defending the Gospel Accounts of Jesus by Joe Hellerman, Ph.D.
- Evidence for the Resurrection of Christ by Craig J. Hazen, Ph.D.
- Christianity and the problem of Popular Culture by John Mark Reynolds, Ph.D.
- Responding to Relativism by Greg Koukl, M.A.
- Christianity and the Nature of Science by J.P. Moreland, Ph.D.
- The Historical Jesus by Gary Habermas, Ph.D.
- Contending for the Christian Worldview by John Mark Reynolds, Ph.D.
- Reading Scripture with All Your Mind by Walt Russell, Ph.D.
- Responding to the Cults by Kevin Lewis, Th.M., J.D.
- What About Those Who Have Never Heard the Gospel? by Greg Koukl, M.A.
- Christianity Among the World Religions by Craig J. Hazen, Ph.D.
- Miracles and the Modern Mind by Douglas Geivett, Ph.D.
- In Defense of the Soul by J.P. Moreland, Ph.D.
- The Case for Moral Absolutes by Francis J. Beckwith
- Answers to Bioethical Challenges by Scott B. Rae, Ph.D.
- Darwinism in Crisis by Phillip B. Johnson, Ph.D.; Paul Nelson, Ph.D.; John Mark Reynolds, Ph.D.; J.P. Moreland, Ph.D.
- Key Issues in New Testament Textual Criticism by David Alan Black, Ph.D.
- Jesus: The Smartest Man who Ever Lived? by Dallas Willard, Ph.D.
- Successful Tactics in the Defense of the Faith by Greg Koukl, M.A.
- Apologetics and the Spiritual Life by John Coe, Ph.D.
Recent Special Lecturers
- Francis J. Beckwith, Ph.D.
- Norman L. Geisler, Ph.D.
- Os Guinness, D.Phil.
- Hugh Hewitt, J.D.
- Alvin Plantinga, Ph.D.
- Dallas Willard, Ph.D.
The program is very flexible and affordable!
Courses and special events are offered during convenient evening and weekend hours.
The program is designed for the student to finish the certificate studies normally in one year. The cost is $185 per lecture series. Other special lectures and courses may cost extra.
How to Start
The Certificate Program is open to everyone. Just call or write for an application and the latest lecture schedule, or download our application*! New classes and events start every term.
Christian Apologetics Program
13800 Biola Avenue
La Mirada, CA 90639-0001
E-MAIL: apologetics [at] biola [dot] edu
*Note: The certificate application is in Adobe PDF format. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader please visit the Adobe Website.